Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Paula's Favo is Mayo!

Laura and I were laughing today about how much mayonnaise we have gone through over the past few weeks! With so many "salad" recipes we keep having to buy more and more jars. In fact I have a fettuccine recipe that Paula uses mayo as the cream base!

To say the least, Laura and I don't use mayo much outside of the occasional sandwich. Paula however loves to use it as the main ingredient. Simply changing the quantity and type of mayo you use can make a huge difference in the calorie and fat content. There are many options on the shelves and you have to sift through all of the bright colored labels to find which mayo is right for you. I typically go for lower calorie and lower fat as well as mayo instead of Miracle Whip. I prefer mayo simply for the taste.

On to the recipe...this weekend I made a version of Paula's Shrimp Salad in Mini Phyllo Cups. I was in a pretty big hurry and forgot to take the picture of all of the ingredients. Part of the way through I remembered and grabbed a few shots!
The shrimp...
The Phyllo Cups!

The mayo...and a cutting board :)


And the celery + green onion + seasoning mixture...


The overall flavor of the cups wasn't just incredible. I am not a huge fan of celery, and to me the celery flavor was just too strong. I would have preferred more shrimp and less celery and mayo. The recipe below is what I would do to fit my taste!

Oh, and sorry I didn't get a pic, I was in such a hurry to make my new Sunday sandwich recipe I forgot to take a final product picture...if it makes any difference, they look just like Paula's with less fat :)
I don't have the comparisons but I do know how many calories are in each baby cup. I don't have two dogs to get to, but I do have this calling my name :)




Each cup:
Calories: 56
Fat: 1.9g
Sodium: 85mg
Fiber: 0.1g


Shrimp Cups
24 Mini Phyllo Cups (find in your grocer's freezer!)
2 1/2 cups of shrimp, cooked, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 tbsp minced green onion
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
1/4 tsp salt substitute
1/4 tsp black pepper
Mix all ingredients (except phyllo cups) together. Fill each cup with an even portion of shrimp salad and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my...I can imagine that these tasted pretty good, but like you I would have preferred more shrimp. We don't eat any mayo around here, but I always like to make the occasional exception.

    ReplyDelete