Thursday, August 5, 2010

Almost Gumbo Casserole

One this recipe was put together; it reminded me of a great shrimp gumbo…minus the juice. Cooks beware, this recipe is very time consuming and, well, pan consuming. At one point I think I had 3 pans on my stove and my food processor going!

What is a favorite recipe that takes almost every pan in the kitchen?


The original recipe called for canned cream of mushroom soup. I tried to cut some of the fat and sodium by using a sauteed mushroom and cauliflower puree. Since I changed things up a bit, as we usually do, this recipe had lots of ingredients! Here they are:



One thing I wish I would have done is chop up the shrimp before mixing it with the rice. The shrimp, whole, are just too big when you scoop out the casserole. I might also add a little low sodium vegetable broth to the mixture before baking. My casserole was a little too dry, but I did cook it in a bigger casserole dish, so it may have just too much surface are when it baked.




Up close and personal....



The sodium was changed quite a bit! This dish is still on a higher end of calories but paired with lower calorie vegtables, would be a great dinner!

Shrimp and Rice Casserole
Ingredients:
¾ cup wild rice
½ cup brown rice
14 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp Smart Balance, Light
½ green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup cauliflower, cooked and pureed
1 cup mushrooms, sautéed and pureed
1 ½ cups 2% Cheddar
¼ tsp salt substitute
½ tsp black pepper
Canola oil spray

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cook the rice in 2 cups water until almost all of the water is absorbed. Set aside.

Bring 2 cups of water to boil and cook shrimp for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Melt Smart Balance in saucepan and sauté the bell pepper and onion until soft.

In a large bowl, mix together the rice, shrimp, cauliflower, mushrooms, 1 cup cheese, salt substitute, pepper, and sautéed vegetables. Spray an 11 by 7-inch casserole dish with canola oil. Pour the shrimp mixture into dish and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.

1 comment: