Friday, August 13, 2010

Frozen Friday

Houston is hot. Hot and humid. When I get home after a 5 minute bike ride (yes, only five minutes!) from the train station, I'm red-faced, sweaty and gross. On the days that I walk, I feel like I'm walking in the hot mouth of a mouth breathing giant. It's bad.

So what do I want when I finally make it home? Ice Cream!! But if I had ice cream every time it was hot in Houston, well, let's just say I would need to invest in several pairs of sweat pants. A healthier alternative is popsicles!


Right as the weather turned from warm to miserable, I bought a set of popsicle molds. I think I spent $20, but I've used them a lot! It was a great investment. You can mix and match any flavors and make it as healthy (or as decadent) as you want.



I had a couple of overripe bananas, so I blended them up with some frozen pineapple, some reduced sugar OJ and some Splenda. You could probably omit the Splenda, but I feel like it adds a little sweetness so I feel like I'm getting a treat.



Pour the liquidy concoction into the mold and let it freeze. Three hours later, you'll have a cool treat! The best part is each of these pops is only 30 calories!

What's your favorite freezer treat?
Know any good popsicle recipes?

Stay cool!

FNF Trop Pops

3 small bananas
3/4 c frozen pineapple
1/2 c light orange juice
1/4 c Splenda

Mix all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Pour mixture into popsicle molds and chill for at least three hours.

2 comments:

  1. The FNF Trop Pops look very yummy. I think I will make some today. It is hot and humid here, not as bad as it in Houston. I am so ready for some fall weather.
    My favorite freezer treat, frozen grapes. I like red seedless the best. I bring them home from the store, rinse them, remove any stems and freeze them. Cool and yummy anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! It is hot in Austin too...so very hot! I need some cool refreshment and I'm' trying to stay away from Bluebell as much as possible. I thought about freezing bananas, but this sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete