Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Should've Been Sandwich Sunday...

Laura and I had a serious "business meeting" on Sunday. Not only did we start working on the specifics of our new .com, but we also cooked up some fancy granola bar recipes.

Here is a sneak peek:




We ended up being so busy, that I forgot to post my sandwich Sunday recipe. Obviously this month's weekend topic will be all about sandwiches. I know I typically think about my husband's daily turkey sandwiches for lunch, but those are certainly not FNF worthy. Instead, I wanted to start things off with an INCREDIBLE breakfast sandwich.

Breakfast on the road often call for Whataburger Taquitos (yummo!!!!) or if we are really being bad, a McGriddle from McDonalds. On CalorieKing.com, a McGriddle has 560 calories and 32 grams of fat (12 of which are saturated)! Well, in honor of one of my favorite unhealthy breakfasts....I revamped it!

It all started with Paula's Breakfast Sandwich Recipe. The only thing I didn't like is that the "innards" of the sandwich were loose. I prefer that my egg and sausage be in a neat little shape...also part of my OCDism :)


I started out by browning my turkey sausage. Paula recommended using precooked sausage, but I found that the uncooked version was actually a little healthier. After browning the sausage, I measured out about 2 oz. When I filled my round cookie cutter with Egg Beaters I sprinkled in the 2 oz of sausage.

While the eggs cooked, I made my pancakes. Again, being pretty crazy about organization, I chose the round cookie cutter one size larger than my egg mold. This made for a perfect little sandwich.



When all was said and done, it was delicious!!!!! Who doesn't love sweet and savory? Oh, that's right..Laura!! Laura and I love debating our food faves. One of mine is using my breakfast bacon as a syrup spoon :) The best part is the mixture of salt and sweet, just like chocolate covered pretzels. Laura on the other hand is somewhat disgusted with my breakfast habit. Oh well, I am sure I will find something to pick on Laura about :)

Even though I got a little side tracked by my soapbox, I must admit a mistake I made with this recipe. I forgot to add the oil!!!! I wondered if it was just the whole wheat flour that made my pancakes so dense, but in fact it was the omission of the oil! I apologize to all of the boys who had to eat my chewy pancakes (Rusty had some lucky taste testers over for his fantasy football draft).

The breakdown:

1 Sandwich
Calories: 360
Fat: 10
Sodium: 408
Fiber: 3.3

Incredible Pancake Sandwich!!!
Pancakes (makes ~ 14, 3-4” pancakes):
1 ¼ cups white flour
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
2 cups skim milk
½ cup egg substitute
2 tbsp Canola oil
2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
Canola oil spray

Each Egg/Sausage Patty:
¼ cup Egg Substitute
2 oz ground turkey sausage, browned

Condiments for Each Sandwich:
2% American cheese slice
1 tsp Smart Balance Light
1 tbsp sugar free syrup


Mix together ingredients for pancakes. Spray hot skillet with oil. Pour ~3 tbsp of batter onto skillet (can use round mold for uniform shape). Flip pancake when bubble appear in the center. Cook until browned on each side. Keep warm.

In another skillet, pour egg beaters and turkey serving into each mold, slightly smaller than the pancakes. Cook on both sides.

To complete the sandwich layer as follows: Pancake, cheese slice, egg/turkey patty, pancake, tsp SBL, syrup. ENJOY!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of pancake sandwiches. What a great way to start out the morning. And I completely agree...you can't beat sweet and savory! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete