Thursday, July 29, 2010

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

There is something funny about chicken pot pie. I absolutely love to eat them...but for some reason they make me very queasy. It think it comes from me trying to eat a whole pot pie by myself! Mmmmmmm...


Good news is, this one definitely didn't make me sick! I absolutely LOVED the final product. It all started with Paula's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie recipe and with a few simple changes turned into one of my favorite recipes.



One of the big changes I made was substituting reduced fat crescent rolls for the biscuit topping. Thought the biscuit would have been thick and fluffy, the crescents did not disappoint! They were flaky and delicious.



On the nutrition side of things, I was able to almost cut the calories in half. The most amazing alteration was the fat content! Almost 30g less than the original! The sodium content was not changed too much, since I still used some canned ingredients. Overall, this dish was very filling, flavorful and a much healthier choice.

Taste: Seconds, Please!

Waist: Tighten Your Belt a Notch!

Crescent Chicken Pot Pie

2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast
3 hard boiled egg whites, chopped
1 cup very thinly sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1 (10 ¾ oz) 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1 cup low fat chicken broth
¼ tsp black pepper
6 refrigerated, reduced fat crescent rolls
Canola oil spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with canola spray. Spread the chicken, peas, carrots, and egg whites evenly in the dish. Mix together the soups and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with pepper. Lay the crescent roll dough over the top of the mixture, letting each overlap slightly. Bake until the crescents are golden brown and the mixture is bubbling, approximately 35 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up on Chicken Pot Pies but never have the time to make one from scratch these days (I'm always too hungry for dinner by the time I start cooking). I like how you used the pillsbury crescent rolls...a quick fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken pot pie, crescent rolls, much lower fat content -- what's not to like?! I want to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete