Thursday, July 8, 2010

Shrimp and Oyster Po’Boy...Po’Pita...Sandwich

I absolutely love fried shrimp and oysters. I have fond memories of having “date night” with my dad and going to this little restaurant shaped like a boat, sharing baskets of these yummy artery blockers. I couldn’t resist trying to make the Shrimp and Oyster Po’Boy a little bit healthier.

I thought that a healthier option might 69 the hoagie and replace it with a high fiber pita. Unfortunately, it seems like no one makes pitas anymore, at least in my neighborhood. After visits to 3 different grocery stores I found tons of new high fiber wraps or sandwich thins but no pitas. So instead I am forced to make this Po’Boy just a plain old sandwich. I also decided, for budget reasons, to do away with the oysters. Fried oysters are wonderful, but at $1 each I decided to forgo the expensive clams and stick with just shrimp.



The process of making this sandwich was really quite easy. The tartar sauce was a mixture of light mayo, chopped green onions and chopped bread and butter pickles. I tried to find the salt free dill pickles, but again the selections were limited.

Pan frying the shrimp was not a as bad as I thought it might be. Once each batch was finished I let them drain on a paper towel covered plate. The only complaint I have is that some of the delicious breading stuck to the pan. Any good suggestions on how to avoid that?



On the plate the sandwich looked pretty good. I added some baked sweet potato fries as well as sliced radishes and a green onion for flare. Not only did the sandwich look good but the sandwich tasted awesome! I did not miss the deep fried shrimp at all. The only issue I had with the sandwich is that I needed a fork. Because the sandwich thins are so thin the sandwich kept falling apart. A pita would be a perfect solution, as it would act more like a shrimp cup, holding all of the ingredients in.

So here are the nutritional stats for a single sandwich:


Here is the modified recipe:

Shrimp Sandwich
1 tbsp Canola Oil
2 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
2 tbsp White Flour
1 tsp FNF Seasoning (see recipe below)
2 tbsp Egg Substitute
6 Large Shrimp, peeled
1 Whole Wheat Sandwich Thin
1 ½ tbsp Tartar Sauce (see recipe below)
½ cup Shredded Lettuce
2 - ¼” Slices Tomato
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder

Foodies Not Fatties (FNF) Seasoning:
4 tbsp Garlic Powder
4 tbsp Black Pepper

Tartar Sauce:
6 tbsp Light Mayonnaise
½ cup Chopped Green Onion
½ cup Chopped Low Sodium Dill Pickle
¼ t FNF Seasoning

Place shrimp in a small bowl with the egg substitute. Stir until all shrimp are coated. Dredge shrimp in flour and seasoning mixture.
Heat oil in pan. Place shrimp in pan and flip once, cooking until done.
Spread tartar sauce evenly on sandwich thin. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Stack lettuce, tomato and shrimp on sandwich. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy, yummy, yummy. I can't to make this again. A pita is the perfect bread for this sandwich. It is wonderful for a lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question, if you use a pita instead of the sandwich thins, will it change the calories?

    ReplyDelete