Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mom...The Meatloaf!

To me, meatloaf can be great or it can be horribly wrong. I have made many meatloafs and today's recipe was one of the healthiest I have tried to make.

One thing I don't enjoy about making meatloaf is that it is usually very labor intensive. Sauteing, chopping and dicing all of the yummy ingredients can take up so much time that it makes it hard to put the meatloaf together in the evenings after work.

On the topic of chopping, I would like to share one of my favorite products with you! While watching an episode of Castle I was enlightened to the existence of Onion Goggles! These glasses are a life saver. My husband and I cook with onions all of the time but I hate how teary eyed I get. Since being gifted (thanks Rusty) a pair I haven't had any tears!

What is your favorite kitchen gadget?

Now to dinner. Tonight's meatloaf was very easy to put together. The only items that required labor were the onions and the tomatoes.



I realized that I was out of Dijon mustard and ended up substituting regular mustard with a splash of FNF seasoning.

I also decided to put the meatloaf in bread pan instead of a casserole dish. I figured that allowing the meatloaf to cook in its own juices the whole time would keep it from being too dry.


The final verdict….EPIC FAILURE! The sauce tasted like sugary tomato juice. The meatloaf itself had NO flavor. To say the least, this meatloaf became dumpster decor and I added a lot more salad to my plate. Basically, you are welcome to try this meatloaf but proceed at your own risk!



I guess the only redeeming factor is that the nutritional facts look much better. This is the perfect example of how changing a recipe for the better can end up being a complete flop.

The modified recipe:

BBQ Meatloaf

Meatloaf Ingredients:
1 ¼ pounds 99% fat free ground turkey
1 cup fresh high fiber bread crumbs
1 onion, chopped
¼ cup egg substitute
1 tsp salt substitute
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp Mrs. Dash, Original

Sauce Ingredients:
2 cups pureed tomatoes
3 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp Splenda brown sugar mix, loosely packed
2 tbsp Mustard
½ tsp FNF Seasoning
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup water, to thin sauce if needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, onions, egg substitute, salt substitute, pepper, Mrs. Dash and ½ cup of the pureed tomatoes. Shape this mixture into a loaf and place in small baking dish. In a small bowl, Stir together the remaining pureed tomato, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire and water (if needed). Pour the sauce over the meatloaf.

Bake for 1 hour or until meatloaf is 160 degrees, basting every 15 minutes with sauce and juices.

4 comments:

  1. Those are some sharp shades! I think you should post a picture of you in action!
    My favorite kitchen gadget is my food processor, hands down! I use it for smoothies, Chocolate Banana Faux-Fro-Yo, even chopping veggies because I have really dull knives (and I'm lazy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the failed recipes that make the good ones even better! ;) My favorite kitchen gadget is my food processor for SURE! (But if I get a Vita Mix, I'm convinced that will be the love of my life!) :) I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Vita Mix would be incredible! My husband is a huge smoothie for breakfast kind of guy and would love to have a Vita Mix! I would have to say my second favorite kitchen gadget is my Silpat. You can bake anything on it and the shape stays the same and cooks perfectly. I am a little obsessed with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should I send you my recipe for meatloaf??? Just kidding!! I loved the epic failure comment. That's how many great recipes become great...they failed the first time and then you changed and added the perfect ingredient!!

    ReplyDelete