Thursday, July 22, 2010

More Cheese Please!

Are you tired of mac and cheese yet? I guess Laura and I love cheese and pasta so much, we keep choosing similar recipes! Today's recipe is a modification on Paula's Cheese Noodles. The recipe sounded super yummy and wasn't quite like mac and cheese so I thought I would give it a try.


There weren't too many strange ingredients in this recipe. I am a huge fan of the texture of egg noodles, so I was excited to make this dish.


The end result of this recipe looked very delicious. You have the oh so yummy egg noodles with this crispy and toasted brown crust on top. The flavor did not disappoint either! There was a beautiful hint of onion in every bite that finished with the creaminess of the different dairy products.




On the plate, on my new place mats!



A little closer...


On a side note, my hubby HATES cottage cheese. I didn't tell him there was any in here and he actually ate it! He wasn't too pleased when I gave him the news. Either way, this side dish was pretty good. As far as the nutrition value a whole lot didn't change. It is at least a little better.




Is there anything you wish you could sneak into a meal?


Here are the facts


and the new recipe:

Cheesy Noodles

Ingredients:
1 cup 1% Cottage cheese
½ cup low fat sour cream
¾ grated onion
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp garlic powder
6 oz No Yolk egg noodles, cooked
¾ cup grated Parmesan
Canola oil spray

In a saucepan, melt the cottage cheese and sour cream together until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients except the Parmesan cheese and stir to coat. Put mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish sprayed with Canola oil. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the mixture. Bake for 45 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Kathryn,
    This looks like a great mac and cheese recipe. I liked how you used parmesan cheese and low fat sour cream. The sour cream gives your creaminess the creaminess, and the parmesan has so much flavor that you don't need to dump a pound in. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an official taste tester, I second that this was delicious! Way to go, Katillac!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathryn,this recipe sounds good. I have used nonfat and reduced fat cream cheese before, but not cottage cheese. I will have to try it.

    I have a funny story similar to yours re: your husband and the cottage cheese. Mine involves my husband and cauliflower. We were making pizza and I wanted cauliflower on it. He protested saying he strongly disliked cauliflower. So I only put it on my half. Well, I went to get cleaned up while the pizza was baking. By the time I was finished, he had already taken the pizza out and started eating what he thought was his half of the pizza (it was actually mine with the cauliflower on it). When I asked him how it tasted, he said it was the best pizza ever. Then I informed him he was eating mine with the cauliflower on it. His response "Oh, I guess I like cauliflower after all."

    ReplyDelete