Thursday, July 15, 2010

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get into my belly!!!

When I was a little kid my favorite McDonald’s Happy Meal was the chicken nuggets. As a bigger kid, I (on occasion) love to stop by Chick-Fil-A for the adult version of a happy meal. Chick-Fil-A’s 8-pack only weighs in at 270 calories and 12g of fat but McDonald’s 6 pack chicken nuggets are 280 calories and 17g of fat. No matter where you get your nuggets you are getting a lot of fat for eating chicken.

For this recipe, I will take Paula’s classic Chicken Nuggets with a Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce and try to cut back on the calories and fat. Hopefully this recipe won’t turn out quite as bad as my meatloaf.
On this shopping trip I had a great time browsing the potato chip aisle. It is not an aisle that I usually frequent, so there were many new products for me to discover! The two I ended up purchasing were the Lightly Salted Lay's (only 90mg of Sodium per serving!!!!!) and the Fat Free Sour Cream and Onion Pringles. Both of these were equally delicious and each had their own redeeming factors.
For the dipping sauce I was able to pick up some local honey at our Farmer's Market. My husband and I have started shopping there more often to cut back on our grocery bills. I love fresh fruits and veggies but my pocketbook, not so much.



Good to know I am not on a losing streak, because these nuggets were nuggets of YUM! Not only were they pretty chicken nuggets but they had good flavor and texture. I paired them with a salad, a soon to be blogged macaroni and cheese recipe as well as a nice Heineken Light.

Something you might try if you decide to make these, is to add either spices like Mrs. Dash to the potato chip mixture or even add hot sauce like Texas Pete to the egg substitute mixture. This would give the nuggets a little extra ZING!

Nutrition Breakdown:


Lower Fat Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Sauce
Ingredients:
½ cup crushed Lays Low Sodium potato chips
1 cup crushed Pringles Light Sour Cream and Onion Chips
¼ cup egg substitute
2 tbsp skim milk
6 chicken breast filets
Olive oil spray
Honey Mustard, see recipe below

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cover each chicken breast loosely with plastic wrap. Pound chicken to uniform thickness, approximately 1 inch. Cut into 1 inch cubes.

Put the crushed potato chips in a shallow dish. Beat the egg substitute and milk in a bowl. Dip the chicken cubes into the egg/milk mixture then dredge them in the potato chips.

Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil spray. Place the coated chicken nuggets on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the nuggets reach 165 degrees.

Serving Size: approximately ¾ chicken breast or 5-6 nuggets

Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:

½ cup light mayonnaise
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice

Combine all ingredients except orange juice and stir well. If dip is too thick, use orange juice to thin.

Serving Size: 2 tbsp sauce

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kathryn! Thanks for the comment on my post - I love your blog background - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for visiting! It has been so helpful checking out other peoples blogs and finding out how their blogging experiences have been. I hope your job search is going well!

    ReplyDelete