Friday, July 16, 2010

It was a Two-fer!

Remember the (Wheat) Germy Chicken Strips I made a couple of days ago?? Anyone remember the Mac and Cheese that sat next to the strips?



Well, I was feeling particularly ambitious that day and decided to re-work TWO recipes in one day! I worked on Italian Chicken Sticks AND The Lady's Cheesy Mac; it was a two-fer!

(Sorry about the picture; I guess my shutter wasn't completely open when I snapped the picture!)

For this recipe, I made adjustments to almost every ingredient. I used a brand I've only used a couple of times for my macaroni. It's not whole wheat pasta, so it has semolina flour, but it also has a blend of legume and other flours in it (lentil, flax, barley). I like it because it's a little higher in protein and fiber than regular pasta. It also doesn't have the tough gummy texture of whole wheat pasta. I used my homemade Greek yogurt from earlier this week, reduced fat cheddar cheese and only used 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites.

Reduced and low-fat cheeses don't melt as well as full-fat cheese, so the final product didn't have that homogeneous, orange-y color that regular Mac & Cheese has. It didn't taste like the heavier version, but it was tasty enough to satisfy my craving. But that's okay, because I have plans for these leftovers (insert evil laughter here)!



The revised recipe is almost 100 calories less than the original and 10 grams less of fat. Here are the stats:

Nutritional Information (OLD) Nutritional Information (NEW)
Servings Per Recipe: 8 Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving Amount Per Serving
Calories: 333 Calories: 235
Fat: 20.5 g Fat: 9.7 g
Sodium: 369 mg Sodium: 285 mg
Fiber: 1 g Fiber: 1 g


And the recipe:

Mmm...Mac & Cheese

4 c cooked elbow macaroni, drained
2 c shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites
1/2 c plain, fat free Greek yogurt
4 tbsp margarine
1 c fat free milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

When the macaroni is done cooking and has been drained, return to the pot and add the cheddar cheese. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl before adding to the macaroni and cheese. When all ingredients have been combined and well-dispersed within the macaroni, pour into a casserole dish or an 8" X "8 square pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good. I think is something I will try. This recipe looks easier to make than some that require you to make some kind of white sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you make it, make sure you save some leftovers, because I'm going to turn this two-fer into a three-fer! And what I turn the leftovers into will be AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so creative! looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. This mac and cheese was really really good. The only change I made was to melt the margarine and added some dry mustard to the egg, milk and yogurt mixture. A keeper recipe. Hubby still needs to add the salt.

    ReplyDelete