Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What the Chuck?!?

In an attempt to put off another shrimp recipe (I know, I'm going to have to do it eventually!!), I decided to test out Paula's Chili in a Biscuit Bowl. They looked so cute I couldn't wait to try them. One year for a family get together, my mom had a soup-in-a-bread-bowl themed meal. We served these yummy, crusty sourdough bread bowls and filled them with chili or chowder. I bet you can guess which one I picked!

First came the biscuit bowl. I used Heart Smart Bisquick instead of regular, skim milk and cayenne. I've never tried a biscuit with extra spice so I was stoked to see how they came out.

I mixed up the dough and molded the 'bowls' over my muffin tin. BTW, Paula wasn't kidding when she says make sure you spray your mold with cooking spray! I had a bit of an episode when trying to get these guys off the pan.

But once I finally got them off, I was had these cute little bowls. And please don't laugh at my makeshift cooling rack! I guess I forgot to 'borrow' one from Mom before I moved so I've been using a grill rack (from a grill we no longer own) and an upside down bowl. Pretty ingenious, huh?

Now, on to the chili . . .

I used lean ground turkey instead of beef chuck. I couldn't find Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, so I just used a can of Rotel, instead. That's Mexican-style, too, so why not?

I let it simmer and after half an hour, I had some chili!

But, the Rotel was a bad idea! It was way too spicy!! I ended up having to add an entire 3/4 can of beans. And even then it left my lips burning.

I hate to waste food, so I packed it up with some reduced fat cheddar for my lunch the next day.

I don't have a picture of when I had it assembled, but I will say that it was adorable! But as soon as I took a bite, everything crumbled and spilled out, so I ended up more of a makeshift casserole creation. I really liked the cayenne in the biscuit, it added quite the kick. Too bad my chili was too hot, too!

On to the stats:
Nutritional Information (OLD) Nutritional Information (NEW)
Servings Per Recipe: 6 Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving Amount Per Serving
Calories: 391 Calories: 366
Fat: 2.5 g Fat: 8.7 g
Sodium: 874 mg Sodium: 750 mg
Fiber: 6.9 g Fiber: 6.0 g

I was really surprised that the change from beef chuck to lean ground turkey didn't lower the calories more AND had less fat. I googled Beef Chuck (because honestly, I don't know where all the cuts come from) and it said that the chuck is from the neck area and super fatty. And, I used skim milk, not whole milk, so the fat should be lower. I'm losing confidence in the accuracy of our recipe calculator. I'm pretty confused.

Anyone know anything about Beef Chuck??

Here's the recipe, if you like it spicy!

Chili Cups

Nonstick cooking spray
2 c Heart Smart Bisquick
2/3 c skim milk
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
flour, for dusting
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 (14 oz) cans Mexican-stewed tomatoes (I used Rotel here)
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp chili powder

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and spray the underside of the muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.

Stir together the baking mix, milk and cayenne. Shape into a ball. Turn out on a floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. Roll each piece into a 6 inch circle and place over the back of each muffin cup. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned and let cool. Remove from the tins.

Brown the turkey. Add the onion and bell pepper and continue to cook until the meat is brown and the veggies are tender. Drain off any fat. Stir in the tomatoes, beans and chili powder. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 35 minutes.

Serve chili in cooked biscuit bowls and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Oh how I want to try this! Did you know October is National Chili Month? Perfect timing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable idea! I would imagine that it would fall apart pretty quickly though. This would be fun to do with pie crust and a chocolate pudding. Yum! Thanks for sharing love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Monet's idea! Like a mini chocolate pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg. I love bread bowls, but biscuit bowls throw them out of the park!!!! FANTASTIC!! OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea. I am getting a lot of Christmas ideas reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete